Sustainable Development Issues
1. Sustainable Development Fundamentals
- Sustainable development Fundamentals
- Mainstreaming gender equity
- Establishing an impartial and independent criminal justice system
- Implementing sustainable development summits' recomendations
- Choosing a development strategy
- Implementing the human rights instruments
- Achieving the millenium development goals
- Protecting environment
- Implementing tranparent and participatory governnance
- Closing the digital divide
- Resolving Ethnic Conflicts
- Promoting localism not globalism
- "What is Sustainable Development? Environmental, economic and social well-being for today and tomorrow"
- Rober Kates et al.
"What Is Sustainable Development? Goals, Indicators, Values, and Practice"
- "Sustainable Rural Development (SRD) Definition of Sustainability"
- "Measurement of sustainable development"
- OAG. "Performance Measurement for Sustainable Development Strategies"
- Darrel Moellendorf. "The Right to Sustainable Development (video)"
- "Sustainable development: Critical issues"
- Daniel Lafleche. "Sustainable Development: What Does it Mean and Who Wants to Tell You?"
- Jonathan Harris. "Basic Principles of Sustainable Development"
- Cody Sisco. "Software Accelerates Sustainable Development"
- Louis Cantori. "Islam's Potential for Development"
- Jack Goldstone. "Islam, Development, and the Middle East: A Comment on Timur Kuran"
- 'Atiyya Saqr. "Islam and Development"
- Charles Corey. "Africa's Economic Development Potential Huge, Economist Says"
- Peter K. Nyikuli. "Unlocking Africa's Potential: Some Factors Affecting Economic Development and Investment in Sub-Saharan Africa"
- C.T Eyong and I.I Foy. "Towards Alternative Strategies for Sustainable Development in Africa"
- Rosalind Thomas. "Unlocking Africa's Potential: Development Corridors & SDIs - an African Private Sector led growth strategy."
- Claire Furphy. "The Clean Development Mechanism in Africa: Potential for Environmental, Economic and Social Benefits"
- UN. "Declaration on the Right to Development Adopted by General Assembly (4 December 1986)"
- ODI. "The Right to Development: A Review of the Current State of the Development"
- Stephen Marks. "The Human Right to Development: Between Rhetoric and Reality"
- UNESCO. "The Right to Education"
- UNU. "Education for Sustainable Development in Africa (ESDA)- Report"
- "Ethiopia’s Sustainable Development and Poverty Reduction Programme"
2. Mainstreaming Gender Equity
- ILO. "Definition of Gender Mainstreaming"
- UNDP. "Gender Mainstreaming"
- Naila Kabeer. "Gender Mainstreaming in Poverty Eradication and the Millennium Development Goals"
- WB. "Mainstreaming Gender Equality in Infrastructure Projects"
- UNFPA. "Gender Equality: a Cornerstone of Development"
- Jamal Badawi. "Gender Equity in Islam"
- "Millenium development goal #3, End poverty: Gender Equity"
- ACLU. "Women's Rights"
- "Living the Legacy: The Women's Rights Movement 1848 - 1998"
- RHReality Check: "Women's rights"
- Olympe De Gouges. "Declaration of the Rights of Woman, 1791"
- "History of women's suffrage"
- Freedomhouse. "Women's Rights in the Middle East and North Africa"
- Mary Wollstonecraft. "A Vindication of the Rights of Woman With Strictures on Political and Moral Subjects"
- Green Africa. "Sustainable Women Development for Socio-economic Development of Rural Africa"
- Maggie Black. "Eradication of Female Genital Mutilation in Somalia and Africa"
"Lacking the flash and thunder of other weapons it has failed to call upon our consciences and action. Unlike the cities of gunshots and beatings, the crime, and its victims are often driven into the shadows — too scared or too ashamed to seek help..."- Medecins Sans Frontiers
3. Establishing an Impartial and Independent Criminal Justice System
- "Impartiality of the judiciary"
- OHCHR. "Basic Principles on the Independence of the Judiciary"
- "Independent/Impartial Judiciary as Crucial Protector of Individual Rights & "Rule of Law"
- "Issue: Independence and Impartiality of Minnesota judges"
- ABA. "Promoting Fair and Impartial Courts"
- D.M Cooray. "An Independent Judiciary"
"Promoting Judicial Reform in Developing Countries: The Challenge"
- R.Urbina. "A Judge’s Role"
"The Role of Judges in a Government of, by, and for the People"
- S.Carbon. "The Role of Judges in Enforcing Full Faith and Credit"
- "Role of Prosecutors"
- R.Flowers. "The Role of the Defense Attorney: Not Just an Advocate"
- B. Pollack. "A Defense Lawyer's Role"
- UN. "The Role Of The Police"
- UN. "Police Roles and Responsibilities"
- "Role of Police"
- UN. "Standard Minimum Rules for the Treatment of Prisoners"
- NIC. "Women In Prison: A Commentary on the UN Standard Minimum Rules for the Treatment of Prisoners"
- UN. "Treatment of Prisoners, Child Protection, Violence against Women, Migrants"
4. Implementing Sustainable Development Summits' Recomendations
Johannesburg Plan of Implementation - "Plan of Implementation of the World Summit on Sustainable Development"
Implementing Sustainable Development: Proposals by Local Governments"
- Yvonne Rydin."After the Summit? Thoughts on the implementation of sustainable Development"
- UN. "Implementing Sustainable Development"
- UN. "Preparation and implementation of the World Summit on Sustainable Development"
- G.Seygang. "The Johannesburg Summit and Sustainable Development: How Effective are Environmental Mega-Conferences?"
- "Ten years after Rio: Preparing for the World Summit on Sustainable Development in 2002"
- "Partnerships for Sustainable Development - Sustainable Development Implementation"
- ECA. "Five-Year Review of the Implementation of the World Summit on Sustainable Development Outcomes in Africa"
- UNESCO. "Drivers and Barriers for Implementing Sustainable Development in Pre-School through Upper Secondary"
5. Choosing a Development Strategy
"Towards a Human Development Strategy"
- T.Bartik. "Economic Development Strategies"
- H.Franz. "Development strategies and food and nutrition security in Africa"
- J.Dixon. "Development Strategies, Pathways and Synergies"
- A.Gueys. "Pro-Poor Growth Strategies in Africa"
- UN. "Mainstreaming Gender into Trade and Development Strategies in Africa"
- D.Gavel. "Rethinking Development Strategy for Africa"
- Paul Collier. "Growth strategies for Africa"
- Christopher Delgado. "Africa's changing agricultural development strategies
6. Implementing the Human Rights Instruments
- PDHRE. "Human Rights Conventions: Summaries"
- "African Human Rights Instruments"
- "The Universal Declaration of Human Rights" . "Somali version"
- Joseph oloka-onyango.
"Human Rights and Sustainable Development in Contemporary Africa"
- "Amnesty International Program for Implementing Human Rights"
- D.Banik. "Implementing Human Rights-Based Development"
- C.McClain-Nhlapo. "Implementing a human rights approach to food security"
- Norani Othman. "Implementing Women's Human Rights in Malaysia"
- Laitia Tamata. "Application of Human rights conventions in the Pacific Islands Courts"
- "Claiming Human Rights - in Africa"
- ACLU. "Freedom of Expression"
- "Beacon for Freedom of Expression"
- Derechos. "Freedom of Speech"
7. Achieving the Millenium Development Goals
- UN. "Millenium Development Goals"
- UNDP Somalia- "Millennium Development Goals"
- "Somalia - MDG Monitor: Tracking the Millennium Development Goals"
- "Investing in Development: A Practical Plan to Achieve the Millennium Development Goals"
- Mdgafrica. "Achieving the Millennium Development Goals in Africa"
- UNDP. "Achieving the Millennium Development Goals in Africa"
- WB. "Getting Serious About Meeting the Millennium Development Goals"
- ICPD. "MDGs Basics: Master Plans for Development"
- UN. "Site for the Millennium Development Goals Indicators"
- UNECA. "Assessing Progress in Africa towards the Millennium Development Goals
- UNDP. "The Millennium Development Goals Report 2008"
- ESCAP. "Achieving the Millennium Development Goals in an Era of Global Uncertainty"
- "African Economic Outlook. "Progress towards the Millennium Development Goals"
- Agenor-Bayraktar. "Achieving the Millennium Development Goals in Sub-Saharan Africa"
- Africa Review. "Achieving the Millenium Development Goals in Conflict-affected Countries in Africa"
8. Protecting Environment
- "African Environment and Conservation on the Internet
- "57 Ways -Making The Environment A Household Word"
- King County. "Things you can do to protect your environment"
- EPA. "Protect the Environment: Act Locally"
- "Protecting the Environment During Armed Conflict: An Inventory and Analysis of International Law"
- Akin L. Mabogunje. "The Environmental Challenges In Sub Saharan Africa"
- Leilah Jumat. "Africa’s Endangered Wildlife Species"
- Yvonne Agyei. "Deforestation in Sub-Saharan Africa"
- UN. "Africa Review Report on Drought and Desertification"
- P.F. Reich et al. "Land Resource Stresses and Desertification in Africa
- S.C. Nana-Sinkam. "Land and environmental degradation and desertification in Africa
- Ingrid Hartmann, Ahmed J. Sugulle.
"The Impact of Climate Change on Pastoral Societies of Somaliland"
- "Climate Change | U.S. EPA"
- "The impact of global warming in Africa"
- "The effects of Global Warming on human lives in West Africa"
9. Implementing Tranparent and Participatory Governnance
- Transparency International. "Promoting good governance in Africa"
- UN. "Toward Participatory and Transparent Governance"
- "Africa Program: Governance. Building Capacity and Raising Awareness"
- "Transparent governance / Anti-corruption - Adam Smith International"
- "Recommendations for Transparent Governance"
- " Nikhil Dey.The Right to Transparent Governance"
- Ford Foundation. "Promoting Transparent, Effective And Accountable Government"
- Transparency International. "Corruption Fighters' Tool Kit: Civil society experiences and emerging strategies"
- CIVICUS. "Participatory Governance Toolkits"
- Neeta Verma et al.
"Stakeholder Empowerment through Participatory Governance: A Case Study"
- Gbenga Lawal. "Corruption and Development in Africa: Challenges for Political and Economic Change
- Kempe Ronald Hope, Bornwell C. Chikulo, "Corruption and Development in Africa: Lessons from Country Case Studies""
- Claire Furphy. "Corruption in Africa: A crime against development "
- Africa Union. "Convention on Preventing and Combating Corruption"
- Asumpta Lattus. "'Quiet corruption' undermining African development"
- Faith Wambura Ngunjiri. "Corruption and the Feminization of Poverty In Sub-Saharan Africa"
- Anwar Shah. "Corruption and decentralized public governance "
10. Closing the Digital Divide
- Leon A. Kappelman. "The Big Picture: Closing The Digital Divide"
- Michel Marriott. "Digital Divide Closing as Blacks Turn to Internet"
- Jaymi Heimbuch. "Closing the Digital Divide: Getting Cheap and Free Computers"
- Albert Ang. "Closing the digital divide across Africa"
- Christian Fuchs. "Africa and the digital divide"
- ITU. "ICTs in Africa: Digital Divide to Digital Opportunity"
- J.Chisenga. "The Question of Bridging the Digital Divide
- Josh Catone. "Bridging the Digital Divide Takes More than Just Access"
- Gumisai Mutume. "Africa takes on the digital divide: New information technologies"
- Dick Ng'ambi. "ICT and Economic Development in Africa: The Role of Higher Education"
- Jenny Aker and Isaac Mbiti. "Mobile Phones and Economic Development in Africa"
11. Resolving Ethnic Conflicts
- UN. "The Causes of Conflict and the Promotion of Durable Peace and Sustainable Development in Africa"
- John M. Richardson Jr. "Ethnic peace accords and ethnic conflict resolution: survey"
- Kumar Rupesinghe. "Governance and conflict resolution in multi-ethnic societies"
- IJWB. "Resolving Ethnic Conflicts in Nation States"
- Daniel Kessler."Resolving Ethnic Conflicts in Nation States"
- Ian Alexander Oas. "Reconciliatory Space: A Geographic Perspective on Resolving Ethnic Conflict"
- Andries Odendaal. "Ethnic Conflict and its Management. A Position Paper"
- "States & Ethnic Conflict"
- Paul Collier. "Ethnic Civil Wars: Questioning the Received Wisdom"
- Emmy Godwin Irobi. "Ethnic Conflict Management in Africa: A Comparative Case Study of Nigeria and South Africa"
- Timothy Murithy.
"Electoral Systems and the Management of Ethnic Conflict"
- Paul Collier. "Natural Resources and Conflict in Africa-Crimes of War Project"
- Tom Porteous. "Resolving African Conflicts"
- Graham Safty.
"Ethnic Conflict in Sub-Saharan - Colonialism's Deadly Legacy"
Weak States and Ethnic Conflict: State Collapse and Reconstruction"
- Victor Reatile Shale. "Ethnic Conflict in the Horn of Africa"
- World Bank. "Conflict in Somalia: Drivers and Dynamics"
13. Promoting localism not globalism
- "Localism (politics) From Wikipedia"
- Anup Shah. "Structural Adjustment—a Major Cause of Poverty"
- Robert Naiman and Neil Watkins. "A Survey of the Impacts of IMF Structural Adjustment in Africa: Growth, Social Spending, and Debt Relief "
- UNECA. "African Alternative Framework to Structural Adjustment Programmes"
- Bonny Ibhawoh."Structural Adjustment, Authoritarianism and Human Rights in Africa"
- D.E. Sahn. "Implications of structural adjustment for household food security in Africa"
- Adibayo Olukshi.
"Structural Adjustment and Social Policies in Africa: Some Notes"
- Juliet Melville. "The Impact of Structural Adjustment on the Poor"
- US Congress. "The World Bank and USAID in Africa: The Tragedy of Structural Adjustment, the Promise of Broad-Based Participation"
- "African Alternative Framework to Structural Adjustment Programs for Socio-Economic Recovery and Transformation"
- Julius O. Ihonvbere. "The World Bank/IMF Structural Adjustment Programs and the Somali Crisis"
- UNCTAD. "Economic development in Africa. From Adjustment to Poverty Reduction: What is New?"
- J. Shola Omotola and E. Kenneth Enejo.
"Globalization, World Trade Organization and the Challenges of Sustainable
Development in Africa"
- Rudolf O. Okonkwo. "The Second Scramble for Africa"
- Larry Catá Backer.
"Courting Africa--21st Century China Africa Investment and Cooperation Forum"
- Pierre Gomez. "Western Domination, Imperialism and Exploitation"
- "Profiting from poverty:...how Western companies and consultants exploit Africa."
- Richard Drayton. "The wealth of the west was built on Africa's exploitation"
- "Imperialism in Africa Readings"
- "Marxism and Anti-Imperialism in Africa"
- Hartford. "The history of neocolonialism in Africa as a whole"
- Obi Akwani. "Neo-Colonialism in African Literature"
Sustainable development papers (1996-2000)